Let’s be real. Many gym owners run their clubs via spreadsheets and direct deposit. We call that “pen-and-papering” a gym. How do we know? Because we owned fitness studios for decades. That’s why we started Gym Insight. We know the right gym management software can help owners grow their gyms without costing them a fortune.
Profile of ProFitness of Greenville, South Carolina
In 2014, Pete Marston bought a small, struggling 24-hour gym with a friendly crowd ready for a hands-on owner. The recently retired manufacturing executive ran the club without gym software, manually renewing clients. It was time-consuming, but he loved speaking regularly with members. The problem was, when a client’s account expired, their entrance key did not automatically shut off. With his manual system, it was a constant challenge to reconcile a client’s payment status with the key’s cancellation.
By the time, he’d caught the error, a few months had passed, and he felt bad asking the member for a full amount, so he’d collect a partial payment and update the account.
Keep clients working out with gym software that automatically resubmits declined credit cards.
Marston fell victim to the idea that a highly automated billing system and simplified, electronic sign-up process depersonalizes the gym experience. In fact, the opposite is true.
Pen-and-papering your gym:
- Takes time away from customers: Club administration – membership renewals, charging accounts, updating emails, notes, correspondences, and chasing delinquent accounts — all takes hours. By the time you leave the office, you’ve neither said hello to a single customer nor were you available to meet new ones. The very reason you love this business – your people – is the one thing for which you don’t have time.
- Limits growth: Instead of focusing on sales and growth, you’re muddled in paperwork – the very tasks that the right software will take care of for you.
- Turns you into a debt collector: You bill one day, and then spend the next week pursuing 45 declined credit cards. Wouldn’t it be easier if the cards were automatically re-submitted?
- Costs money: Little mistakes add up. As Marston learned, a nonpaying customer with an active key is expensive. If an owner misses a contract renewal for an inactive client, he or she’s lost the chance to pitch a new deal. Neglected delinquent memberships and declined credit cards can cost thousands.
Benefits of Gym Management Software
- Increased control — Renewals, cancellations and past due accounts are scheduled, tracked and monitored.
- Better organization — All member communications and contracts stored together.
- Professional presentation — Digital contracts printed with logo; effortless online new client sign-up.
- Fully integrated software system — For example, entrance keys are disabled both upon a contract’s end and when an account becomes delinquent.
- Informed decisions – Need to know the busiest time of day for your 24-hour gym? Just review a graph diagramming all the door activity for the past eight days.
- Simplifies management — Take advantage of auto messaging, emails, and task lists.
Gym Membership Software Frees Up Your Time.
Marston sold his gym after installing Gym Insight, but remains active with the company. Today, the gym has more than doubled its membership. The online sign-up system allows for a flexible day rate that encourages drop-ins, and the new owner has more time for sales, customer relations and marketing.
“It saves you so much time. You can get out there and talk to the members. Given the chance, I’d have had done it much quicker and would use Gym Insight all over again,” Pete Marston.
We don’t normally use this blog space for self-serving promotion, but we feel this moment is different. Too many small gyms are struggling and they need to build business without losing any more money. That’s why we want you to know our software is priced to grow with your gym. We never take a percentage of sales, our flat monthly rate is based on membership, and we provide ongoing customer service to ensure our software is used to its best advantage. Call us. Let’s see if we can help you save money and grow your business.